Tuesday, November 3, 2015

#Selfie

In this project, students used the "grid method" on a photograph in order to correctly draw their facial features and head/hair shapes. Then they erased the grid lines and shaded their drawings using a variety of drawing pencils. By employing a wide range of values, students were able to achieve the look of three dimensions on a 2D surface.

I have been teaching 7th graders how to create fully rendered self-portraits from a photograph for the past eight years (some examples include split portraits for which students drew half the face and the other half was a photo, these portraits with backgrounds inspired by Kehinde Wiley, and these "Shades of Summer" portraits which included a reflection in sunglasses). In the past, I have taken their pictures myself, but this year, I thought it would be fun to have the students take their own photos ("selfies") and I am so excited with the results! Equipped with an ipad, each student chose their pose, the crop of their photo and the amount of light/dark present on their face (there was a spotlight in the room where they took their photo). The completed portraits were mounted to an iPhone screen template, to make them appear even more like a real selfie!

























6 comments:

  1. I just Googled "iphone template" or something like that and found one I liked. I printed it as large as I could on 11x14 paper, and then measured the inside of the screen to determine how big the portraits needed to be. They are roughly 7"x10" I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea. My friend just began her teaching at art school for children and she was actually looking for some interesting tasks to do. I'll advice her to do something the same, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! Did the students take their own selfies for the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! I sent them into my storage room with an ipad :)

      Delete
  4. Great Idea! Gonna try it for my art class!

    ReplyDelete