Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Still Life in Charcoal

I'm very late in posting these beautiful charcoal still life drawings done by my 7th graders (in fact, I am quite behind in blogging in general- sorry!!). This was a difficult project for the class but they did a fantastic job!! After a trip to Goodwill to pick up some new reflective/metal/glass objects, I set up five still life arrangements around the art room complete with a spotlight lamp at each. Students were challenged to focus on value (the lightness or darkness of colors/tones) and use white and black charcoal to render the still life setup, capturing the reflections and transparency of the glass objects.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! How do you get this level of work from tweens? Mine are no where near this good and they get frustrated with their lack of ability. These can't be normal kids, do you work at an art school? If not I must be seriously incompetent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- thanks for the compliments! It's definitely not an art school, but it is private and the classes are between 12-18 kids so that helps. They are motivated, high achieving kids, but even so there is a range of abilities and products. I have high expectations and don't let them give up! Also, I build up their skills, so the year before this project we did a lot with drawing from observation and value, so this wasn't the first drawing with spotlights they have done. Even so, I'm always pretty impressed with what they are capable of. Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete