Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bonjour Deuxième Partie (Part Two)

Yesterday afternoon was the opening reception for the second 8th Grade Art show at Bonjour Bakery. Just like last week a lovely group of artists, parents, administrators and teachers assembled to admire the artwork and indulge in something sweet! As a reminder, this set of paintings will remain on display through this Sunday, April 29th. Hope you can swing in to see it if you live locally- you won't be disappointed! 
 I had to take a picture of the bakery's display case, as it was SOOO Wayne Thiebaud, the artist who inspired our project. He admired the orderly rows of food and consumer goods on display in drugstores, bakeries and hardware stores which ultimately inspired many of his paintings:

2 comments:

  1. I know this comment is over a year late....but I have to know how you managed to teach such amazing painting outcomes!!! Those paintings look like the real Thiebaud ... I've tried for years to teach this lesson. Tips please!!! kbolster at saintleothegreatschool.org
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for the compliment! I don't really know what to say except that I give the kids as much time as they need to do the project, so it takes a while. They sketch first on paper the same size as the canvas. I have fake, but very real looking, pastries to look at, or they can find images online, or even copy an actual Thiebaud. My class size was about 15 students, so that certainly helps. I use Crayola "portfolio series" acrylics for this which are very thick and I encourage using lots of paint and lots of color. I generally don't allow black, so that they have to shade their colors with purples and blues and then they look much more Thiebaud-like. I demonstrate things as they come up. Mostly, I just encourage them to have fun and slather the paint on like thick frosting! (The three tiered yellow/purple cake in the post above- we actually used a piping bag and piped white paint onto the canvas- it was so fun!)... Hope any of this helps and good luck!

      Delete