I've done this project for the past two years with my groups of 8th graders, and wasn't planning on bringing it back this year because I like to switch things up... BUT, the current class convinced my long-term sub to let them do it and I was happy to continue to facilitate the project once I came back to work. Students used various clay hand-building techniques to create a plate (or bowl!) of their favorite foods. This lovely buffet went on display yesterday and it's always a hit for those passing by!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh my goodness what fantastic works of clay sculpture Bravo to all !
ReplyDeleteI love these!
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of clay and paint did you use?
ReplyDeleteJust low-fire white (Standard 105) and Duncan cover coat underglazes/overglaze
DeleteI'd like to try this project with my kids. I was wondering if all the pieces are individual and placed together after the glaze or are they all attached prior to firing? Any tips or things I should be aware of? Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteindividually sculpted and glazed separately too. After overglazed, they are positioned how they want them and the overglaze fuses it all together in the kiln...
DeleteNot really any tips except most pieces are totally hollow from the bottom to make them lighter and to account for air pockets/explosions
Did you give the students anything to mold the plates and bowls over?
ReplyDeleteyes they used heavy duty paper plates and various bowls depending on what they were making. The student who made the TCBY cup made a template from paper and rolled/assembled the clay to make the shape she wanted.
DeleteI love this project Idea! Did you have the student attach the pieces of sculpted food to the plates before bisque firing or they were separate pieces? Also I love the spaghetti, what tool did you have that student use to develop such small strands? Look forward to hearing back from you.
ReplyDeletepieces are individually sculpted and glazed separately too. After overglazing, they are positioned how they want them and the overglaze fuses it all together in the kiln...
DeleteI have a couple of Kemper Klay Guns in the clay toolbox- just a mini extruder tool that has one disk that can make strands like that. Great for hair on people and creatures too!
Do you possibly have a lesson plan for this project? Just really intrigued as to how you went about this and what your guidelines were. Like what did you demonstrate, steps for the project, things for the students to remember while constructing? Just anything that would help me and my students be as successful as yours :)
ReplyDeleteI don't have a formal lesson plan... In my classes, I focused on one skill in clay construction per year- Slabs in 5th grade, pinch in 6th, coil in 7th, so that by the time they got to 8th and made these, they had learned and practiced those techniques. I did a very quick demo rolling a big slab for a plate or bowl since it had been since 5th grade since they did it... Then the next day I just spent about 10 min doing an overall demo with some construction ideas, like a quick sloppy cheeseburger: I showed them how to pat/pinch buns and patties, add texture, roll thin cheese and tomato and lettuce, etc. then score them all together and THEN scoop out the entire thing from the bottom to make it hollow. That was really the BIG lesson to be had- that pieces needed to be hollow no matter how constructed. After that, I didn't really do any class demos unless we encountered something that everyone would benefit from. I just worked individually with each student as needed to figure out how to make their vision come to life... It was a long process but so worth it!
DeleteOh, I did make them print out several references (pics of their food choices) from the internet so they could get shape and scale and color accurate. Otherwise, see my other comments above for other tidbits
Can you please put the link where to order the clay what kind. Thank you
ReplyDeleteI purchased locally from a ceramic supply shop to save shipping costs, but I used Standard Ceramic Supply Company's 105 White Clay. I am sure any low fire white clay would produce similar results!
Deletehttps://standardceramic.com/products/hhhh
Have you ever used paint instead of underglaze/glaze? Our glaze colour palate is quite limited
ReplyDelete