In this “classic” Calvert project, sixth graders first created the backgrounds of their paintings by making tessellations- a special kind of design made from different patterns of repeating shapes called polygons (closed shapes that have three or more sides). In tessellation designs, congruent polygons fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces that repeat again and again- they could go on forever! Students painted their tessellation designs using either a warm or cool color scheme.
To create the portrait, students traced the light and dark areas of their faces using a projected digital photograph. Using the opposite warm or cool color scheme from their background, they painted their portrait, making sure their light and dark areas were highly contrasting:
This are great! Did you have to alter them in photoshop before projecting them? If so, what filters did you use?
ReplyDeletenope! When I take the photo, I shine a spotlight on one side of the face so there is a much lighter side, but then to trace the face, we just project the photo onto paper and trace around the light and dark areas.
DeleteHow did you trace the photo? I have alot of students and I am wondering how you organized the use of one projector or light table or what? Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI only have one projector... I call up students one at a time to trace their photo while they paint the tessellation background (I can do about 4 in a 45 min class period). I call them up in order of how far along they are with the background, so that by the time the finish painting that, they are ready to paint the face part. My classes are usually only around 15 kids though, so I don't have to manage a ton.
DeleteWhat a great project! Were the portraits painted onto a new sheet of paper then cut out and glued onto the tessellation sheet?
ReplyDeleteYep, two separate sheets
ReplyDelete