The next step of the project was to use the grid method on a photograph to create a map for drawing their features and outlines. This method helped students to stop drawing symbols of lips, eyes, hair, etc. like in the examples above, and actually draw their correctly proportioned and uniquely shaped features. They added value (shading) with various graphit pencils to make their portraits appear three dimensional, had an art critique, and then used watercolor pencils to create a reflection depicting a summer memory in their sunglasses... I hope these artists are proud of the work- I sure am!
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Shades of Summer
The 7th Graders have finished their "Shades of Summer" self portraits this week and I think they are amazing! Before we began the project, students did a pre-drawing of themselves by looking in a mirror. Here are a few examples of those drawings: +(Medium).JPG)
+(Medium).JPG)
The next step of the project was to use the grid method on a photograph to create a map for drawing their features and outlines. This method helped students to stop drawing symbols of lips, eyes, hair, etc. like in the examples above, and actually draw their correctly proportioned and uniquely shaped features. They added value (shading) with various graphit pencils to make their portraits appear three dimensional, had an art critique, and then used watercolor pencils to create a reflection depicting a summer memory in their sunglasses... I hope these artists are proud of the work- I sure am!
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
The next step of the project was to use the grid method on a photograph to create a map for drawing their features and outlines. This method helped students to stop drawing symbols of lips, eyes, hair, etc. like in the examples above, and actually draw their correctly proportioned and uniquely shaped features. They added value (shading) with various graphit pencils to make their portraits appear three dimensional, had an art critique, and then used watercolor pencils to create a reflection depicting a summer memory in their sunglasses... I hope these artists are proud of the work- I sure am!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, what size paper have the portraits been done on? I'd like to try this with my class!
ReplyDeleteI usually use paper close to 12x18ish
Delete