Today was the first day of Art Camp and it was GREAT! I have 20 campers this week and, luckily, I have two sophomores from Roland Park Country School helping me out to earn community service hours. First thing this morning, we started to create Recycled Magazine Bowls, a project that will be ongoing throughout the week. It's as simple as rolling colorful magazine pages around an 11"x1/2" piece of cardboard, taping them end to end, and rolling them into a giant spiral. By the end of the week, the pieces should be pretty big and we'll push them out into a bowl shape and cover them with a glossy coating.

After snack, we created clay "shape-and-fill" bowls (or planters, candle holders or whatever kind of vessel you want really). Campers rolled slabs of clay out, cut a piece to fit inside a cut-off paint bucket (lined w/toilet paper to ease removal) for the bottom, rolled a coil to secure the base, and then cut out shapes with cookie cutters to fill the inside of the bowl. I'll force-dry these in the kiln tomorrow and then we'll glaze and fire them on Wednesday...


This afternoon, we glazed ceramic tiles that we will be breaking and using to mosaic mirrors on Thursday. I forgot to take pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment